Click here to read the Disclaimer and Warning.
Chapter 73
Barney Stone met us in the lobby of the hotel promptly at
nine the next morning. He was about my height with dark hair and dark blue
eyes, and carried himself confidently in a weekend casual outfit of khaki pants
and navy sport coat over a blue striped button down shirt. Jasper and I were
already waiting for him and appreciated his punctuality as well as his
friendly, non-nonsense approach.
“You must be Edward and Jasper,” he said, striding toward us
as soon as he saw us. “Nice to meet you in person.”
“And you must be Barney,” I said, shaking his hand. “I’m
Edward and, as you already guessed, this is my partner, Jasper. Thanks for
meeting with us.”
“It’s my pleasure. Thanks for calling me. Unfortunately, I
have another appointment at noon, but I do have several listings to show you
based on yesterday’s discussion and there is one we could see this morning,
assuming you’re interested. We may be able to see the others tomorrow.”
“That sounds great. Should we have some coffee and breakfast
and look over the listings you found?”
“Let’s do.”
We settled at a table in the restaurant and ordered. After
our coffees were poured and juices delivered, we leaned in to see the listings
Barney compiled for us.
“Now, Edward, I know you said that you wanted a house with a
yard, but you have to understand that in the neighborhood you’re considering
that may be difficult to find. We may be able to satisfy some of your needs
with a large terrace that can handle container gardening and such. Also, you
said price wasn’t an object, but understand that real estate in Manhattan can
range from seven hundred and fifty thousand for a one bedroom condo to forty
million and up for a five plus bedroom townhouse. It would help to narrow in on
a range you’re most comfortable with.”
“Forty million!” Jasper exclaimed. “Barney, I appreciate the
reality of Manhattan real estate, but that’s completely out of the realm.”
I reached for Jasper’s hand to calm him.
“Forty million is too high. Even at half that, I’d have to
speak with my banker. I guess I was hoping for something more in the five to
seven and a half range.”
“Edward, that’s still...” Jasper tried to protest.
“We talked about this last night, remember?”
After his friends left for the club the previous evening, we
went upstairs and had the unavoidable finance talk. It had been something I
dreaded, knowing how much Jasper hated the idea of being anything less than an
equal partner in terms of monetary contributions, but if we were going to live
in Manhattan I was determined to do so in comfort, whatever the price.
Eventually, and reluctantly, Jasper agreed that another real estate investment
made sense for me, and promised not to try to let prices get in the way of our
search. It seemed, though, that the promise was hard for him to keep in the
face of actual numbers.
“Let’s just look at some of these,” I cajoled, pointing
towards the listings. “Barney, just to make sure we know what we want, I
suppose we should see one of those one bedroom places at the lower end of the
scale.”
“Great. That’s the one I lined up for you this morning. It’s
a very nice one-bedroom with a living room and separate dining area. Newly
remodeled kitchen and bathroom. No balcony or terrace, though, I’m afraid. At
that price point those would be hard to find.” Barney offered a printout that
had details of the listing, including several pictures and a floor plan.
“That’s cozy,” I said, trying to hide my disappointment,
especially when I saw the postage-stamp galley kitchen.
“It’s actually a good size for New York. The bedroom is
large and so is the living room, and there are real closets,” Jasper pointed
out. I glanced at the photos, determined not to comment about the perfect view
of a rooftop water tank outside one of the windows or the location, which was
too far away from Jasper’s work as far as I was concerned.
“We can go see it, but I doubt this is going to be the one,”
I commented. I suspected Barney had included this listing to test our price
tolerance. Now that he knew I was willing to go a lot higher, he wouldn’t push
this one, and seeing it might convince Jasper that we needed to look at
higher-priced options.
“Perfect. It’ll just give you a benchmark. And then tomorrow
I thought we might see this one. Obviously there is quite a jump in price, but
we go from one bedroom and bathroom to three of each, more space and a corner
balcony with spectacular views. I think this one will tick off every box on
your list.”
“Except the price,” grumbled Jasper.
“Well, there are several other units for sale in the same
building, some at higher and some at lower price points. We could see more than
one tomorrow.” Barney gave us two more listing sheets. The apartments were all
different, but all seemed nice, even if they were located in a modern high rise
building instead of something older with more charm.
“Jas, you know better than I do that Manhattan is an
expensive place to live. But resale values have held up, haven’t they?” I
questioned Barney.
“As you know, the real estate market nationally took a hit a
few years ago, but I don’t believe there will ever be a time when Manhattan is
not a desirable address and you are getting into the market at the right time,”
Barney replied diplomatically.
“So this is exactly the right thing to do,” I continued to
make my case to Jasper. “We get a fantastic place and when it’s time to sell
we’ll make a tidy profit. And in the meantime, we’ll live in comfortable,
pleasant surroundings.”
“Okay, we can look at those larger co-ops tomorrow. The
three bedroom you showed us first does
look nice,” Jasper reluctantly agreed, glancing at Barney and then looking over
the printouts. I had to agree. I really liked what I saw. Even the kitchen in
the co-op was more pleasant; still a galley, but very modern and bright with a
lot of storage.
“With two extra guest rooms there will be room for your
family or mine to stay with us when they visit,” I enticed.
“That’s true. Like I said, we can look. The location is
pretty good. Nice walk and the subway’s nearby.”
Our lox and bagels arrived and we took a break to eat,
getting to know Barney over random chit-chat. After he paid for breakfast, he
suggested we grab a cab to get to the first apartment.
“I don’t bother trying to drive in Manhattan,” he said with
an apologetic grin. “Not even on the weekends. Parking is a pain and the cabs
are just so convenient.”
“No worries,” Jasper said. “I don’t even have a car. Will
you want one?” he asked me.
“Not unless we feel we really need it. I’m fine with walking
and using public transportation. Cabs and car services are good too. And we can
always rent if we need to get out of town.”
“Smart man. A car just means extra insurance and parking
fees. Trust me, I know. You’ll be much better off if you can do without. Of
course, my wife and I haven’t been able to resist, but if only we could...” He
chuckled. “So, moving to Manhattan and buying a place. How long have you been
together?”
Jasper and I looked at each other, unsure of how to answer
what Barney probably assumed was a simple question.
“We met when we were ten and for years we were inseparable,”
Jasper started.
“Then we went to college and,” I paused, trying to find the
right explanation.
“Circumstances changed. I decided to go to school in
Rochester while Edward stayed in Washington. We lost touch,” Jasper filled in.
“For six long years. And then a mutual friend was getting
married and we reconnected at his wedding,” I added. “That was back in June.”
“And five months later you’re here,” Barney summarized.
“That’s a great story, you guys. My wife’s gonna love it. Lucky that you were
both single at the wedding.”
“It was, very lucky,” I smiled as I took Jasper’s hand.
The cab pulled to a stop.
“Well, looks like we’re here. Let’s go up and take a look,”
Barney said enthusiastically as he paid the cabbie. We climbed out of the car
and walked into the building.
The apartment was everything the pictures had suggested and
less. It was about the size of the apartment Jas and I shared in college, minus
one bedroom. The space wasn’t bad for everyday living, but with only one
bedroom it would be hard to host any out of town guests. The kitchen was tiny
and dated. Barney reminded me that it could be remodeled and even expanded into
the space which served as a dining room, but I had hoped not to have to live in
a construction zone. The views were urban and definitely nothing to write home
about and the location was much too remote from both Jasper’s work and all our
friends.
Jasper tried to look optimistic, but I could see he didn’t
like the place either. That, at least, was a relief.
“So, guys, what do you think?” Barney asked when we were
done with our short tour.
“If this is the best we can do below a million, then we need
to go higher,” Jasper replied.
“You could do better, just not on the upper east side,”
Barney said, his hands spread out to indicate his helplessness.
“But the upper east side is where we want to be, right Jas?”
He nodded. “Let’s keep looking. Those co-ops you showed us
earlier looked interesting. It would be good to see those tomorrow.”
“Okay,” Barney said with enthusiasm and clapped his hands
together for emphasis. “Let’s get you back to your hotel, or can I drop you off
anywhere else?”
“Thanks, but no need to drop us off. We can walk and scout
out the neighborhood.” I told him. Barney raised his brow, but said nothing.
“Edward is used to spending a lot of time outdoors,
walking,” Jasper explained. “He’s a park ranger.”
“A park ranger? Is that some sort of a boy scout leader?”
I laughed. “No. I work for the National Park Service. You
know, Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain, Yosemite. I was an interpretive ranger at
Mount Rainier National Park. That means I led hikes and educational programs
about the park for visitors. I took a leave of absence to move here,” I
supplied when Barney still looked confused.
“Mount Rainier,” Barney frowned and massaged his forehead
with his fingers. “Wasn’t there some big news story about Mount Rainier
recently? Seems like I should remember.”
“A sniper went into the park and shot people. One park
ranger died,” Jasper told him.
“That’s right! And another ranger did something heroic.”
“We all just did our jobs, and unfortunately one of us paid
too high a price,” I said, trying to put an end to this line of thought. “Text
me to let me know what time we can see the co-ops tomorrow, okay?”
“Sure, Edward, I’ll do that, and sorry about your
colleague.” Like any good salesman, Barney sensed the discussion was making me
uncomfortable and backed off.
It took Jasper and me a couple of hours to get back to the
hotel as we meandered through the neighborhood, trying to identify the areas
that we found most desirable. As we walked, we also revisited the money
discussion.
“I know it’s not rational, but when I envisioned our life
together I saw a more or less equal partnership, you know? You always had more
money, even when we were kids, and that was okay, but now the difference is so
pronounced. And I’m pretty well off by most standards, with the trust fund from
my dad and my salary, but it’s a drop in the bucket compared to you,” Jasper
tried to explain what I already understood.
“It’s only money, and we’re not unequal just because my
stupid grandfather tortured me and my mother to leave me this tainted legacy.
In a way, using all that money to buy a house for us here is spitting in his
face, and that feels good, but it has nothing to do with how our relationship
works.”
“That’s a lot easier to say when you’re not the one being
kept.”
I stopped walking, forcing him to stop as well. Fortunately,
it was a Saturday on a residential street a good distance away from the city
center, so there was no one immediately around us.
“Neither of us is being ‘kept.’ If it makes it easier, you
can take care of all the utilities and groceries and stuff. You can keep me.”
“Now you’re just humoring me,” he grumbled.
“Yes, because I love you. Because I want you to feel good
about us being together without us having to live in some tiny studio on the
fringes of this island to prove that money isn’t an issue. We’re partners and
we share what we have, like every other couple.”
I could see I wasn’t getting through.
“Maybe you should talk to Seth and Emmett. I know money had
nothing to do with who they fell in love with, but there’s no doubt that
Garrett and Nasir had more assets at the start. Still, it doesn’t seem to
matter for any of them. They just share what they have. I’d love that for us
too. It’s not my money or your money anymore, Jas. It’s our money.”
Jasper’s features softened. “I’m sorry I’m being so
difficult,” he said quietly. “I’m sorry if it seems I’m making problems out of
nothing. I know Seth and Emmett are happy with their guys, and I’m happy for
them...I suppose I could talk to them,” he offered with reluctance.
There was more to this than he was saying. I could sense it,
but not well enough to get a hold of it and yank it out into the open.
“It’s just that they may find it easier because they’d never
had a bad experience with a wealthy guy,” he added and then muttered, “Oh,
shit!”
Just like that we both knew this had nothing to do with my
money and everything to do with that fucker James.
“I’m not him,” I spoke calmly and quietly, silencing the
rage and desperation I felt inside. “I used to be, when we were younger, when
my father drilled into me the idea that money somehow made me better than
everyone else and that I should use that position to control people. I’m not
like that anymore. I’d never use money to try to control or influence you, or
make you feel as anything but my equal. You know that, don’t you?”
“I know. Of course I do. I wouldn’t be with you if I wasn’t
sure of that. But I guess no matter how much counseling you get, no matter how
much you think you worked through your past, there are these nooks and crannies
where shit gets hidden and only comes out years later,” he spoke bitterly,
lowering his head to stare at the sidewalk. I stepped up to him and wrapped my
arms around him, trusting that we would be okay in this neighborhood which
didn’t seem to be populated by troublemakers.
“We all have those nooks and crannies. Maybe we should go
see someone to talk this all out?”
He shook his head. “I know therapy helps, but I don’t want
us to start off this relationship on someone else’s couch. If you can be
patient with me, I think I can work through these things on my own. Believe it
or not, just pinpointing the source of my reluctance makes me feel better.” He
looked up and gave me a tentative smile. “You must think I’m slow for not
realizing that’s where it was coming from.”
“I didn’t think of it either. Was it seeing him last week?
Are you still having nightmares?”
“No, at least not that I’m aware. I was fine the last two
nights, right?”
“I didn’t notice anything.”
“That run-in probably brought these feelings to the surface.
Seeing him with that poor kid as some accessory for him to parade around, with
no friends or family or money to get out of the situation. It brought
everything back, Edward. I remember feeling so guilty and ashamed for getting
lured into a situation where I had no one and nothing to turn to, where I’d let
him take away all my resources. I didn’t think anyone would be willing to help
me after I’d ignored them for so long, and I didn’t think anyone could ever
respect me knowing what I let him do.”
This was the other wrinkle, though I doubted Jasper
recognized it yet. James may have triggered some memories, but Peter’s verbal
attack brought back a whole new set of fears. Jasper wasn’t just worried about
losing Peter’s friendship. He was terrified of losing Peter’s respect or,
worse, of never having had it in the first place.
“Listen to me. None of what happened with James, none of
it, was your fault. He’s a predator of the worst kind, and he took
advantage of you and many other boys, including Krister. All of that is on him.
He’s slippery, but sooner or later he’ll make a mistake and when he does, I
will be there to make sure he pays for everything he’s done. I have enough to
destroy that financial empire of his right now, or at least to cripple him for
a long while, but that wouldn’t be nearly enough punishment for what he’s done
and it wouldn’t stop him from hurting other men. I’m waiting for him to get
caught for something violent, and once that happens, I will crush him.”
“You sound so...” Jasper looked at me with wide eyes.
“Determined. I’m determined to see that bastard rot in hell
in his lifetime, preferably in the company of guys who give him some Karmic
payback that I can’t personally deliver.”
“I should probably be scared, but instead I’m actually
turned on,” Jasper said under his breath.
“Hold that thought until we get back to the hotel.”
“Okay. Let’s find a cab,” He said, looking down the street
towards the nearest busy intersection.
“Wait, before we do that let me say something else. Only
really stupid people wouldn’t give you the respect you deserve for getting
yourself out of a dangerous situation, several times. First, when you called
Emmett to help you leave James, second when you left Seattle to come to New
York, and third when you told me to leave in Rochester. That took enormous
balls, each and every time. It deserves respect.”
“But I was wrong to leave Washington, and I was wrong in
Rochester.”
“You did what you did to protect yourself. Maybe the
information was wrong, but not how you acted. You know the percentages of
victims who go back to their abusers. You’re not in that number. That’s a huge
achievement.”
“Not everyone sees it that way.”
“Peter doesn’t get it. He has no clue. He probably thinks he
does, maybe he’s read some articles, but he’s never been through it and you’re
probably the only victim he’s ever talked with about domestic abuse. I went
through training, I’ve counseled victims, I’ve gone on ride-alongs with
Roberto, I’ve visited victims in hospitals to try to get them help and I was
there when you came home. I get it, Jas. I know how hard it is. I am so proud of
you, so fucking proud!”
“Even if six years later I can still turn into a basket case
after a single run-in?”
“As if that matters. Do you think I’m going to stop wincing
any time soon at the sound of a helicopter or a gunshot? Heck, even going up
into these tall buildings feels weird.”
“It does? Why didn’t you say something?”
“Because it’s not a huge deal. It’s not a phobia, or
anything. It’s just looking out the window and being so high up - well, it’s
not like I haven’t done it before or can’t do it again.”
“But if we get a co-op, you’ll have to be up high every
day,” he fretted.
“And if that’s what suits us best, it’ll be fine. Although,”
I paused and looked around at the brownstone townhouses that lined both sides
of the street, “I have to admit I like the idea of these better. But the prices
are enough to give even me sticker shock, so...”
“We could move to one of the boroughs. Lots of people
commute to Manhattan...”
“Absolutely not. I moved here so you wouldn’t have to,” I
spoke with finality. “I’m sure Barney will find us a place we’ll both love.”
“He seems very capable.”
We had been standing on the sidewalk by ourselves throughout
our conversation, but now a woman came out of one of the homes with two boys
behind her. She looked at us curiously, but thankfully neither she nor her sons
seemed shocked by the sight of two men standing in a close embrace. Still, both
Jasper and I instinctively stepped back, breaking our hold.
“Are you looking for someone?” she asked helpfully.
“No, we’re not. Just talking a walk,” Jasper replied with a
smile.
“Okay. Come on Brice, Kel,” she spoke to her boys and directed
them to walk past us. She gave us one last look over her shoulder when they
were halfway to the intersection, but we must have looked safe enough for her
to ignore us after that.
“She’d make a nice neighbor,” I commented.
“Yeah, but I have a feeling this is where those forty
million dollar homes are.”
“Then let’s hope one of the people has a fire sale or
something. We can’t afford forty million, but we can do better than that one
bedroom we just saw,” I couldn’t help wrinkling my nose with distaste. “We need
something bigger, if for no other reason than that I promised the boys they
could have their own room in our New York apartment when they visit.”
“You did? But of course you did, and they should have a
room, only why didn’t you tell me before we wasted our and Barney’s time
looking at this place today?”
“You wanted to look at it and if this place had felt right,
the boys would have understood. Sometimes even when you know what you want,
it’s good to see options, to make sure, you know? And we’re not even completely
sure about what exactly what we want.”
“Should we even bother with those co-ops tomorrow?” he asked
dubiously. “Maybe we should only look at townhomes.”
“I’d like to see them. The pictures looked nice and spacious
and the views from those terraces were spectacular.”
“But they’re so high.” His face was painted with concern.
“I told you it’s not a phobia, and being in tall buildings
is something I’ll have to get used to if I intend to live here.”
“Okay,” he nodded, “I suppose it won’t hurt to look. So if
we had our pick, which of these would we want to live in?” he asked, looking
around. We started walking in the
direction of the hotel, talking about the pros and cons of each home we passed.
It was a good walk, better for the feeling that we were able to conquer the
minor crisis we encountered earlier.
***
After our walk we ordered room service for lunch and relaxed
in our room. Jas called Demetri to set up a time we could go over and pick up
some more of his clothes and other necessities, though he agreed to keep his
furniture and other things there until we found a more permanent residence. We
caught up on e-mails and watched TV until it was time to go, and then we spent
much of the afternoon with Demetri, including dinner, which I cooked with his
instructions. I didn’t bother to mention my suspicion that Peter would be
furious if he found out I was using his kitchen. I was sure Demetri could have
figured that out all by himself and, after all, it was his kitchen too.
We stayed in that evening and skyped with the boys and their
moms. The kids were thrilled to see the hotel room and look out the window even
if most of our view was the vast blackness of Central Park. It was hard to say
goodbye at the end of the call, though we promises to talk again soon.
Jasper called his dad and made plans for brunch the next
day, which went very smoothly. I immediately saw how pleased Charles was with
my move to New York, and how much Peter’s actions bothered him. He offered us a
room at his place, but understood when we told him we preferred to stay at the
hotel.
“I’d do my best not to get in the way, but I get that having
a parent around is less than ideal for two young men in love,” he told us with
a wink and a grin that made him seem much younger than he was. I liked him very
much, and looked forward to introducing him to my family when they came to
visit.
Later we met Barney and saw not only the three co-ops we
discussed Saturday, but also two other nearby co-ops that he thought might be
suitable. One of the apartments was very tempting. It had a modern,
state-of-the-art kitchen with cleverly
optimized storage solutions to take advantage of all available space that would
even impress Emmett, plus an in-unit washer and dryer. It also had a large
living-dining room and three good sized bedrooms, each with its own bathroom.
The building had a garage, fitness
center and a rooftop terrace, but it had one major drawback that kept us from
making an offer - the name - Trump Plaza.
“It’s only a name, guys,” Barney laughed when Jasper and I
jointly expressed our reservations. “It’s not like the guy lives here and he
already got the money for this apartment. Your money will be going to the
owners.”
“Even so, there is something about living in a place that
fuels that man’s ego that just doesn’t sit right with me,” I said while Jasper
just shuddered.
“Okay, I’ll keep looking. You liked the apartment itself,
right? So something similar in another building?”
“Yes, but we’d also like to look at townhomes,” Jasper said.
Barney’s brows rose in surprise.
“Townhomes come with a higher price tag. There’s no way I
can find one under four million unless it’s a literal fire sale, and we haven’t
had any fires like that around here lately.”
“We realize that,” Jasper acknowledged, “but as Edward
explained yesterday, we can handle something in a higher price range. We’d like
to see what’s available, anyway.”
“Okay,” Barney spoke with an increased enthusiasm. “I’ll
have to get back to the office and check the inventory. There may not be much
in the price range we discussed, but if a home is on the market, I’ll find it.”
Jasper’s request made me so happy I felt I was walking on
air for the rest of the day and evening. We ate dinner at the hotel and then retired
to our room to watch zombie shows.
“I don’t think I’d survive a zombie apocalypse,” Jasper
commented as we watched one of the characters chop heads off zombies with an
axe. “I have neither the skills nor the stomach to deal with these things.”
“You’d learn. Besides, I’d be there to protect you,” I said
confidently.
“Maybe if we found someplace remote where we could hide out
and snuggle,” he conceded, pressing himself against me. “That actually sounds
pretty good.”
I laughed, first at the ridiculous suggestion that anywhere
would be safe enough to hide out and snuggle during a zombie apocalypse, and
then at myself for actually taking anything about a zombie apocalypse
seriously.
“I think we may need a little practice, just in case, you
know?”
“Great minds think alike,” he practically purred as he
pulled my shirt up and over my head.
***
Monday Jasper left for work early, letting me know that
Mondays in general were crazy and he probably wouldn’t have much time for
lunch. That left me the whole day to do whatever I pleased, until Barney texted
about another showing.
I was excited to finally see a townhome, but the one Barney
showed me was wrong on every level except, possibly, the price. Located on a
busy street with a storefront on the ground floor, the place had been gutted to
the studs and needed a complete remodel. Barney tried to sell me on the idea of
a blank slate, but Jasper and I needed a home, not a project, and I couldn’t
see either of us being interested in operating or leasing a commercial space. I
took a copy of the listing sheet to show Jasper when he got home, but I told
Barney to keep looking.
Unsure what to do with myself for the rest of the day, I was
about to head back to the hotel when I got a text from Jasper.
You have a not so
secret admirer.
Oh? Who? I texted
back.
Francis texted me. Cam
wants you to know that he’s not working today if you’re looking for a lunch
buddy
I read the text twice without knowing what to make of it.
Finally, I asked.
are you able to call
me?
My phone rang a few seconds later.
“You stud!” Jasper teased, laughing.
“What the hell? I met them twice and you were with me both
times. I know I didn’t do anything to make him think I was interested, and he’s
with Francis, for crying out loud.”
“I know. I told you Francis texted me, so it’s not like
Cam’s trying to keep him out of the loop. Relax, I was just kidding.”
“Oh, okay. So there’s more to this invitation than you’re
telling me?”
“More? I hope not. I think Cam’s just trying to be nice. He
wouldn’t go through me and Francis if he wanted more.”
“Not unless he’s extraordinarily dumb and insensitive.”
“He’s neither.”
“So what should I do?”
“Do you have lunch plans?”
“Not unless you’re free.”
“Sorry, no. You should meet him. He’s never reached out to
any of us like this. We only see him with Francis, and even then he barely says
a word.”
“That should make for a quiet lunch.”
“I have a feeling he’ll talk with you. This was his
suggestion, after all.”
“And you’re okay with this?”
“Sure. He’s a nice kid. If he’s doing a bit of hero worship,
it’s not like I don’t understand.”
I snorted. “If he’s looking for a hero, I’m bound to
disappoint.”
“No, you’re not. I’ll text you his number. Be kind.”
“Of course. Guess this will give us something to talk about
tonight.”
“The house you saw this morning wasn’t good?”
“I’ll show you the listing so you can decide for yourself,”
I tried to keep my voice neutral so as not to influence him.
“If you don’t love it, I won’t either. Barney will find
something else. He’s really good. I like him.”
“I do too, and I’m sure he will.”
“OK, I have to get back to it. See you soon.”
“Not soon enough. Love you.”
“Love you too.”
He hung up and moments later I got his text with Cam’s
number. I stared at my phone for a while, still not sure what to make of this
out-of-the-blue offer, but if both Jasper and Francis were fine with it, I
couldn’t think of a reason why I shouldn’t go for it.
A few texts later I had an address. Twenty minutes later Cam
and I were sharing a table for two at a busy Turkish restaurant.
“Okay, you have to promise not to tell Ros and Dimi that we
ate here,” Cam said in a conspiratorial half-whisper.
“How come?”
“Well, they’re Greek and this place is Turkish. I guess they
don’t mix,” Cam said with a shrug.
“You realize I’m already on Ros’ shit list, right?” I joked.
“Yeah, which is why I thought it was safe to ask you to come
here. You have an incentive not to spill the beans. This place is really good
and I don’t have any ethnic rivalry issues. Francis and I stop here pretty
frequently, but we might get booted from the group if the others knew.”
“You are exaggerating, right?”
“I wish,” Cam rolled his eyes. “Have you had Turkish food
before. What do you like?” He seemed completely relaxed and the polar opposite
of the guy who was usually so quiet and reserved when out with the whole group.
“Actually, I’ve never tried Turkish food.”
“Well, it’s a lot like Greek food. You know that, right?”
“Not really. Demetri and Peter, I mean Ros, served Greek
food the other night.”
“And you haven’t had it before?”
“Not really.”
“Wow, practically a virgin,” Cam said and then blushed. Now
he looked more like the guy I’d met.
“At least in terms of food,” I agreed. “I’m not too picky,
though. You can order for me.”
“You like seafood?”
“Sure. I’m from Seattle.”
“The swordfish kebabs are good.”
“Perfect.”
“I’m not that hungry, so I might just get the crab cake,
plus we can share a small meze platter?”
“Whatever you suggest,” I told him with a grin.
He ordered and it took almost no time for the server to
deliver our water and a plate of assorted dips with a side of flat round bread.
“This looks a lot like what we had for dinner the other
night at Demetri’s,” I noted.
“These dips are a little different, but the idea is similar.
Dig in,” he encouraged, tearing off a piece of bread and dipping it in a creamy
spread.
“This is great. Thanks for thinking of me,” I told him after
I sampled a few of the dips. Cam flushed again.
“I just thought it must be hard, not knowing anyone in the
city and not working, and living in a hotel. I’d be bored out of my mind.”
“It’s not that bad. I went to look at a house this morning
with our realtor. I didn’t have any lunch or afternoon plans, though.”
“I’m done with my classes for the day and I don’t have to
work until five. We could hang out, go to a museum or something.”
“Sure. That sounds good,” I kept my voice even. I liked Cam,
but I still wasn’t completely comfortable with the situation. I kept wondering
if there was some ulterior motive for this meeting. Maybe the kid really did
have some sort of a crush or hero complex, but maybe this was part of a group
effort to monitor my behavior. The former might be more awkward, but I’d prefer
it over the latter.
“You don’t have to do that,” Cam said casually.
“Do what?”
“Worry about why I suggested we hang out.”
“I wasn’t worried.”
“Maybe that’s the wrong word. Anyway, this isn’t part of
some scheme. I like you. I did from that first night Jasper brought you to the
club. Ros says you’re some sort of wolf in sheep’s clothing but that’s not the
vibe I get from you, and it doesn’t jive with what I’ve found on-line.”
“You’ve been researching me?”
He shrugged and popped another piece of dipped bread into
his mouth. “Sometimes it’s really slow at work. Did you know a couple of people
posted YouTube videos of you guiding hikes? You’re a good guide.”
“There are videos of that? Really?” I was amazed.
“You haven’t looked yourself up?”
“I guess I should. I just never cared much about stuff like
that.” I suddenly recalled Jasper telling me he’d heard about my reputation
on-line as well, and I gave myself a mental kick for not immediately checking
what else was out there.
“Well, you don’t need to worry. It’s all good. Well, mostly
good, except for a couple of bitches.”
“I’m glad you only found a couple. I always tried to be
honest with the guys I slept with, but there were a few that did not understand
the definition of one night.”
“Even that was a few years ago. In the last couple of years
all I found were the ranger videos and photos and mentions of LGBT charities
you support, including Rainbow Beginnings.”
“I’m pretty proud of that.”
“It shows,” he nodded, “and you should be proud. Anyway, I
don’t think that a bad guy would do all that, and I really don’t get a bad guy
vibe from you. So I want us to be friends, and Francis feels the same. Being on
the periphery of the group helps us stay out of Ros’ sphere of influence.”
“Wow, that’s...I really appreciate that,” I told him
sincerely. “I’d like to be friends too. Leaving my friends and family behind
was the one downside of moving. I knew that and I did it willingly, but it
would be nice not to have everyone in New York hate me or be suspicious.”
“You’ve got us,” Cam smiled.
The server brought out my swordfish and Cam’s crab cake and
for a while we were too busy eating to do more than exchange small talk.
Afterwards I asked him about school and he explained how he was studying literature
and philosophy, in the hopes of someday becoming a published author, but that
he was also taking some IT courses for when he had to get a “real” job.
“I have financial aid and my grandmother is helping with
some expenses for now,” he explained, “but when I graduate I’m going to have to
earn more than I do now working in the bookstore. Fran offered to cover our
expenses if I move in with him, but I don’t want to be a freeloader.”
“I don’t think that’s how he’d see you.”
“No, but everyone else would. It’s okay. Everyone has to pay
their dues. I’m not some special snowflake who can’t function in the real
world.”
“If I asked, I bet Francis would say you’re special. Maybe
he wouldn’t use the word snowflake,” I teased him and was rewarded with that
shy smile and a blush. It was fun watching him change from confident to shy and
then back again, depending on the subject matter discussed.
“He’s the one who’s special. He’s so intellectual, and wise,
and no, those are not the same. I love the way his mind works and how easily he
can explain things to me when we have a discussion. It’s like he has a
spotlight that he can shine on a subject that was murky before, you know? But
he listens too, really listens. Sometimes, after he’s listened, he can articulate
my position even better than I can. It’s kind of amazing. I don’t know what he
sees in me. I’m just a kid.”
“You don’t need to know what he sees in you, as long as he
does. For what it’s worth, I think I know what he sees, and I’d say he has a
good eye.”
His blush intensified and I hoped I wasn’t coming across as
too flirty.
“Thanks. It’s not easy, being the youngest all the time. I
often feel like I don’t have enough in common with everyone else. When I’m
alone with Fran it doesn’t matter, but when we’re all out...”
He reminded me of Leo and Zack, and how they preferred to
hang out with Moose and other people their own age. And also how Leo felt out
of place with Zack’s friends when he tried going to college.
“Give it some time,” I advised, “and don’t feel that you
have to be like everyone else. In a couple of years the age difference will
shrink, you’ll see. Especially once you graduate.”
“I know you’re right,” he said, resigned. “For some reason
it’s easier to talk to you, so maybe now that you’re here it’ll be different.”
“It’s probably because I have a kid brother just about your
age, and I talk with him and his boyfriend often.”
“Where do they live?” Cam asked eagerly. I had to disappoint
him with their California location, but we spent a good amount of time talking
about Zack and Leo until it was time to leave the restaurant.
Instead of going to a museum, I asked Cam to show me his
school, which was nearby. It was fun being back in a collegiate setting,
surrounded by busy students. Cam showed me the campus buildings and the
bookstore where he worked. I bought a couple of books that looked interesting
and some interior design magazines, and then we found ourselves in a coffee
shop, once again in deep conversation, this time about my college experience
and working for the National Park Service. Before I knew it, my phone was
buzzing with a text from Jasper, letting me know he was leaving work.
“That’s my man. I gotta go,” I told Cam apologetically.
“Thanks for thinking of me today. This was great, and I hope we do get to do it
again.”
“Sure. I had a good time too. And we should plan something
for the four of us.”
“I’ll speak with Jas and text you,” I promised. We hugged
and I headed back to the hotel.
“How was your play date with your new buddy?” Jasper teased
when we met in the lobby and headed for the elevators.
“Fun, actually.”
“Must have been if it lasted all afternoon,” his tone was
still light, but with a possessive edge.
“He was so relaxed and open today. I think he does better
one-on-one than in a group,” I told him. “But he’s as moony over Francis as I
am over you, so no need to worry. It’s not a crush or even hero worship, just a
kind gesture.”
“That’s cool. I always suspected there was more to Cam than
he was showing us, but no one so far has been able to draw him out except, I
assume, Francis, when they’re alone.”
“He’s really interesting. He suggested the four of us have
dinner.”
“That sounds good. When?” The elevator reached our floor and
we walked down the hallway to our room. I unlocked the door and closed and
locked it behind us before I replied.
“We didn’t schedule anything. I wanted to speak with you first.”
“Our evenings are pretty free, so any day, except Wednesday.
That’s when Nasir and I usually get together for drinks.”
“And am I invited, or is it your playtime with your buddy?”
I teased.
“Don’t be ridiculous. Of course you’re invited.”
“I didn’t want to presume-”
He silenced me by pushing me against the wall and kissing me
fiercely. “There are enough times we have to be apart. Meeting one of our
friends for drinks when we’re both available is not one of them,” he said when
he finally released me, both of us breathing much more heavily than we were
before.
“Thank goodness we don’t have to meet anyone tonight,” I
told him, pulling him further into the room towards the bed. “And I hope you
weren’t counting on an early dinner.”
The sex was rough and hot. I took him from behind as he
leaned against the dresser so we could see each other in the mirror when he
wasn’t turning his head back for fervent, wet kisses. Thrusting deep into him,
feeling our balls slapping together and his hard dick in my hand, was pretty
fucking close to bliss. It didn’t take us long to come, and afterwards we had
just enough strength to crawl into bed for a pre-dinner nap.
“You were going to tell me about the house you saw today,”
Jasper reminded when we came back upstairs after dinner and returned to bed. I
retrieved the listing sheet from the folder in my messenger bag and waited for
him to review the details and pictures. I knew from his expression that I’d
made the right call that morning. “It’s a great project for someone...” he
began.
“But not for us. I’m glad we agree.”
“I sure hope Barney can find some other reasonably priced
properties in this area. Otherwise we may have to go back to looking at condos
and co-ops,” he gave me a regretful smile as he spoke.
“If that’s the best option right now, then so be it. We can
always have Barney keep an eye out for us and move if something better pops
up.”
Jasper grimaced. “I’m not a huge fan of moving. I’ve done it
so many damn times.”
“So let’s call that the worst case scenario. Barney just
started looking.”
“Maybe we’re wrong to rush this? Maybe a month-to-month
rental somewhere is a smarter move? We wouldn’t have to unpack anything beyond
the basics.”
“That’s also on the table, but I think it’s too soon to
throw in the towel. If we still haven’t found anything in a couple of weeks,
we’ll reconsider. I do want something more permanent than this hotel room for
the holidays. I’d really love for my family to spend Christmas in new York.”
“I’d love that too. We could take them skating at
Rockefeller Plaza and to see the Radio City Christmas show.”
“They’d love that, especially Liam and Owen.”
Jasper slid closer to me and rested his head on my chest.
“I didn’t think it was possible, but New York is different
now you’re here. It finally really feels like home.”
“I think... Don’t get me wrong, New York is great and I’m
looking forward to learning my way around, but I don’t think it’s the city. We
were both happy enough where we lived before, but there was something missing.
Being together, we finally have those parts of us that were lost. Our hearts
have finally found their home.”
I felt Jasper smile against my chest and his hand moved up
to rest over my heart. “You’re right. This is my home. You’re my home.”
We turned in early and made love in the dark before falling
asleep in each other’s arms.
***
Tuesday started out like the other weekdays, with a walk
across the street to Central Park to enjoy my coffee and bagel. I’d just gotten
a text from Barney about another potential viewing when my phone rang. Given
the hour, I was shocked to see Seth’s face and number on the screen.
“Hey, Seth. What’s up?”
“Edward, we have a big problem.”
I frowned. Seth had been known to exaggerate, but he
wouldn’t do so at this hour. I could hear in his voice that he was very
worried.
“What?”
“Nasir’s been arrested.”
“Arrested! For what?”
“Not arrested. Detained.”
“What’s the difference?” None of what Seth was saying made
any sense.
“Eddie?” Emmett had apparently taken the phone from Seth.
“Em, what’s going on?”
“They took him, Eddie. Immigration took him.”
“What? I thought this was handled.” I knew I didn’t imagine
walking out of the courtroom and having lunch with my friends after Nasir’s
hearing. If anyone had wanted to detain him, that would have been the most
logical time.
“We thought so too, but they took him and he’s in
jail.” Emmett sounded both frantic and
terrified.
“Jail? Why the fuck
is he in jail?”
“That’s what they do, I guess. He’s in Orange County Jail.”
“Orange County? There’s an Orange County in New York?” The
only Orange Counties I’d ever heard of were in Florida and California, where at
least they made sense.
“I guess so,” Emmett said and I immediately felt bad. He
didn’t care about geography right now.
“Say no more, Em. I’m on my way. I’ll see him as fast as I
can, and make sure he has anything he needs.”
“Eddie, thank you,” Emmett was trying to hold it
together.
“I know you’re scared for him, Em. I am too. I’ll call you
as soon as I see him,” I assured.
“What?” Emmett asked and I heard Garrett speaking in the
background. “Oh, yeah. Eddie, I’m gonna text you the number of an attorney
friend who is working on this for us. Can you coordinate with him?”
“You got it,” I agreed.
“Thanks, Eddie. I’ll text you right now.” Emmett said and
hung up. I dialed the lawyer’s number as soon as his text came through.
“This is Duane Seiler,” a man answered in a polite but
hurried tone.
“Mr. Seiler, I’m Edward Cullen. I got your number form
Emmett McCarty. He says you’re representing his husband, Nasir?”
“I’m one of the attorneys working on his case. What can I do
for you?” Duane was professional but wary.
“I’m a good friend of theirs and I just moved to New York
last week. I told Emmett I would go visit Nasir immediately, but I need to know
where to go. He said to contact you.”
“Oh,” there was palpable relief on the other end of the
line, “right, no problem. I was just clearing my schedule so I could take a
ride out there myself. I can give you a lift.”
“That would be great. I don’t have a car here.”
“How soon can you be ready?”
I looked down. The quilted combat jacket that Jasper had
picked out for me when we went shopping didn’t seem appropriate for a jailhouse
visit.
“I will take me a few minutes to get back to my hotel and
change.”
“Which hotel?”
“The Park Lane. I’m just across the street in Central Park
right now.”
“Okay. Tell you what: I need a few minutes here myself to
give my assistant and associates instructions for the day. How about I pick you
up in front of the hotel in half an hour?”
“Great. Thank you.”
I received no response. He’d already disconnected,
undoubtedly in a hurry to re-arrange his day. I ran my hand through my hair and
huffed out a confused breath. I had no idea what was going on, and I certainly
did not expect to spend my first week in New York City visiting a jail, but my
friend was in trouble and I sure as hell was going to help him.
I gulped down the last of my coffee and tossed the
disposable cup in a nearby trash can, realizing that my dream of making coffee
in the kitchen of our own home would have to be postponed by at least a day, as
I wouldn’t have time for Barney to show me any listings today. But a few extra
coffee cups in the landfill was nothing compared to doing whatever I could to
get my friend out of detention.
I ran back to the hotel and through the lobby to the
elevators, earning some surprised and disapproving glances from staff and other
guests. I didn’t care, pacing in front of the elevator in agitation until the
door slid open, and then pressing the button for my floor repeatedly as if it
would make the car rise faster. Eventually, back in the room, I stripped off my
quilted combat jacket and looked in the mirror, debating whether I needed to
change my jeans and shirt as well. Glancing at my watch, I decided that it
would be enough to put on the Ralph Lauren corduroy sport coat Jasper insisted
I buy during our Friday evening shopping spree. The outfit was still casual but
respectable. I wished I had brought my park ranger uniform, which might have
bought me some “fellow government employee” cred, but who could have predicted
this situation?
I opened our room safe and extracted some of the cash I’d
left there for safekeeping. One thing I had learned through my work with
Rainbow Beginnings was that jails operated on cash and that whatever cash Nasir
had in his wallet would have been confiscated and, therefore, completely
useless. I wasn’t sure of the limits, but I knew I had enough to at least give
him the option of buying what meager creature comforts were available to Orange
County inmates.
Even though it wasn’t yet time to meet the lawyer, I was too
anxious to hang around the room. I made my way downstairs and grabbed a seat in
the Hotel Lobby. I typed out a quick text to Barney, letting him know that due
to a family emergency I wouldn’t be available today and would have to let him
know about the rest of the week. This done, I texted Jasper.
I have some news about
Nasir. Call me when you have a sec.
I didn’t want to have to type out explanations about the
detention, which I hardly understood myself. It was easier to wait until Jasper
had a free moment so I could explain as best as I could over the phone.
Ten nervous minutes later, my phone finally rang.
“What’s up with Nasir? I texted him to confirm drinks, but
he didn’t respond.”
“Bad news. Seth and Emmett called a little while ago.
Nasir’s been detained. He’s in jail, in Orange County?”
“Jail? Orange County, New York?”
“Yeah. Em asked me to go see him.”
“Shit, of course. Why is he detained?”
“We don’t know yet. Em has a lawyer working on it. I
contacted him and I’m driving out to the jail with him.”
“That’s good. You’d have to rent a car otherwise, or call
the service.”
“If this thing isn’t cleared up today, I may have to do that
tomorrow.”
“I’ll get information on rentals and services. I should have
time to do that later today.”
“Would you? Thanks!”
“I can’t believe he’s in jail!”
“I can’t either. Em’s going out of his mind.”
“I would be too. I know exactly how it feels to be so far
away when shit like this is happening...” he paused for a moment before adding,
“Yet another reason I’m so glad you’re here now.”
“Me too.”
“When is the lawyer picking you up?”
I glanced at my watch.
“Five minutes.”
“I won’t keep you, then. Text me as soon as you find out
what the hell is going on. And let me know if I can do anything. My dad has
some contacts on the police force and in the DA’s office from interviews he did
while writing his books.”
“That might be helpful. I’ll let you know.”
“Okay. Stay safe and hug Nasir for me when you see him.”
“I will. Love you. I’ll text you with any news.”
“Cool. Love you too.”
I closed my eyes and let those words fully sink in.
Logically, I knew at some point I would get used to hearing them from him, but
that was a long way away.
It was getting close to the time that the lawyer was
supposed to pick me up, so I made my way outside. It was then that I realized I
had no idea who I was looking for. I pulled out my phone again and called Seth
to keep Emmett’s line clear for other, more important calls. Seth couldn’t help
me but handed the phone to Emmett.
“Hey, Em, Duane’s picking me up right now. What’s he look
like?”
“Oh, um. He’s about Garrett’s height and build with short,
dirty blonde hair. Good looking I guess.
And he’s from Georgia or someplace like that.”
“Yeah, he sounded like it. Seems like a nice guy.”
“I guess he is at that.”
“This might be him now. What does he drive?” I asked as a
Mercedes pulled up in front of the hotel with only the driver inside.
“Fuck if I know,” Emmett said.
“He matches your description, he’s driving a Mercedes and
he’s wearing a nice suit,” I told him, moving towards the passenger side of the
car. The window slid down so I looked inside and confirmed, “You Duane?”
“You must be Edward. Hop on in, Bubba,” the driver invited.
His southern dialect contrasted sharply with his New York City appearance.
“Edward Cullen,” I introduced myself as I got in and shut
the door. I spoke into the phone while buckling my seatbelt. “Em, I’m with
Duane and we’re on our way. We’ll call you when we get there, okay?”
I finished my conversation with Emmett and then briefly
spoke with Seth, admonishing him to take good care of our friend. I knew Seth
didn’t need my reminders, but Emmett had taken care of me many times when I was
at the lowest points in my life, and it was killing me that I couldn’t be there
with him when he needed the same. At least I was doing something critical on
his behalf.
The drive to the jail was long, first winding our way out of
the city and then progressively further until it seemed like we had reached Midwestern
farmlands. In fact, there were cows in the field across the street when we
finally pulled into the jail parking lot. Fortunately, Duane was a pleasant guy
and during the drive he explained everything that was going on with Nasir’s
case, including the fact that he would only represent Nasir until the
immigration expert hired by Nasir’s employer appeared.
“I didn’t realize you weren’t a specialist in this field,” I
confessed.
“No. But fortunately lawyers don’t have official
specialties, so anyone admitted to the bar in the state of New York can
theoretically represent you on any matter. Not that I would advise that, if you
can afford an expert.”
“How did you get involved with Nasir’s case, then?”
“Our doorman, Vlad, saw Nasir get picked up and he told me
about it. He knows that Nasir and Emmett are friends with me and Roddy.”
I nodded, finally putting two and two together and realizing
that Duane and his husband were the men interested in getting very friendly
with Emmett and Nasir.
“That was very lucky,” I noted.
“Yes. When I got a hold of Nasir’s work this morning they
still hadn’t heard anything about his detention, and neither had Emmett. If
Vlad hadn’t said anything, who knows when all this would have come to light?”
“But Nasir’s work knows now? And they’re sending their
lawyer?”
“Right. Emmett said Nasir has a Green Card, so there must be
some misunderstanding. We’ll get it straightened out just as soon as we can and
get our boy outta there. I know he’s the top when he’s in bed with Emmett, but
between you and me, I don’t think that’s the role he’d play with the other
inmates.”
I shuddered, thinking he was absolutely right. It was
imperative that we extract Nasir out of the jail as quickly as possible.
“If you don’t specialize in immigration, what do you do?” I
asked to distract us from the unpleasant topic.
“Corporate law, and some real estate.”
“Big commercial stuff only, or do you also represent
individuals?”
“I’ve been known to do smaller reals estate deals for
friends. Why? You need a lawyer?”
“I probably will. My partner and I are looking for a place
to buy as we speak.”
“I’d be happy to help you out with that.”
“We have an agent we’re working with and I’m sure the
contracts are standard, but it would be reassuring to have a lawyer look things
over.”
“Say no more,” Duane reached into his breast pocket and
withdrew a monogrammed metal business card holder, which popped open with a
press of a button. Still using only one hand, he extracted a card and closed
the case, handing the card to me. “That has all my contact information. When
you get the contract just fax it over to me and I’ll make sure everything is on
the up and up.”
“Thanks, Duane, I’ll do that,” I told him, slipping the card
into my wallet.
***
The jail was frustrating. My experiences with Rainbow
Beginnings predisposed me to believe that pretty much everyone in jail was
getting a dose of their own medicine, which they richly deserved, but that was
clearly not the case with Nasir. I had a long time to contemplate that while
Duane went in to see him and I was forced to wait for the non-attorney
afternoon visiting hours, which started at one.
There were a few interruptions when Duane came out to gather
all our phone numbers to give to Nasir and I deposited cash into his account so
he could buy phone cards to make his calls. Otherwise, though, the waiting room
was boring except for the occasional lawyer and, as the hour neared one, more
and more visitors waiting to see their loved ones.
When it was finally time to go in, I left all my personal
belongings with Duane and suffered through a pat down before being led to a
large common visiting room. The guard barked out a series of rules and then all
the inmates were allowed to come in. We were permitted to exchange brief hugs
in greeting, and I could tell from the way Nasir clutched at me that he was in
a dire state. It was with great reluctance that I finally pulled away, not
wanting to give the guards any reason to throw me out before he and I had a
chance to talk.
I would have been able to tell that he was scared and
anxious even if he hadn’t told me, but he shared his feelings without bothering
to put on a false macho strong front. I was as comforting as I could be with my
words, since we weren’t allowed to touch during our conversation. I told him
how worried Emmett was and would have cut the visit short to give him time to
make the call that I knew was crucial both for him and his husband, but before
I could do so he was pulled out to speak with his attorneys. Knowing that Duane
would not have interrupted us without good reason, I surmised the expert lawyer
had finally arrived. I relaxed a little, hoping this was a sign that the ordeal
would soon be over.
Instead of taking my former place in the waiting room, I
stepped outside for some fresh air. That’s when I saw a black Maybach and a man
wearing a ghutra standing next to it, watching me with a hostile expression.
Nasir had mentioned other Muslim inmates, but I got the distinct impression
that none of them were from his native country. My gut told me that the man
watching me and his friends inside the car were here because of Nasir, so I set
off to speak with them.
The standing man spoke angrily with his friend in the car
and pointed at me. There was something familiar in his expression that
momentarily confused me, until I realized that even though the resemblance was
minimal, he reminded me of Nasir. I looked him over again, quickening my pace,
virtually certain that this was Nasir’s asshole brother. If I was right, he was
here to cause trouble and I was all too happy to re-break his nose for him on
Emmett’s behalf so that he’d have no doubt that Nasir was well protected even
when separated from his husband.
Unfortunately, I didn’t get my wish. Though he didn’t look
happy about it, the man nevertheless got into the car and it sped away before I
could reach it. I turned away from the cloud of road dust stirred up by its
tires and gritted my teeth at the missed opportunity. I’d seen this man and his
friend exit through the doors for jail visitors when Duane and I first came in,
and I now wondered if they had been permitted to see Nasir. But if so, why
hadn’t he said anything about it when I saw him? I was puzzled, but knew I
wouldn’t get any answers until I saw Nasir again.
I texted Jasper and my phone rang a few seconds later.
“You saw him? How is he? What happened?”
“I saw him briefly because he had to meet with his lawyers.
He’s...not great; scared and run down. I guess the detention has to do with
that denial of asylum, though that doesn’t even make sense when he has a green
card. The lawyers are trying to straightened it out, but that takes time and in
the meanwhile he’s stuck here with some animal inmate wanting to make him his
bitch in exchange for a candy bar.”
“What? Are you kidding?” Jasper asked uncertainly.
“I wish. Fortunately some older Muslim guy stepped in and
told Nasir what was what while he could still return the candy.”
“Jesus,” Jasper breathed out.
“Yeah.”
We were silent, absorbed in our grim thoughts.
“He’ll be all right?”
“I think so, if we get him out of here soon. I deposited as
much cash as they would let me into his account, so he can hopefully buy his
way out of shit like that if he has to. We need to get him out, though. This
was the most fragile I’ve ever seen him.”
“Don’t tell Emmett,” Jasper warned.
“I won’t. He may be in less physical danger, but he’s pretty
fragile himself right now.”
“I’m done here for the day, so I’ll give him a call when we
hang up.”
“Call Seth. I know they’re together, and it won’t tie up
Em’s line if Nasir calls.”
“Right. Good thinking. When are you coming home?”
“As soon as the lawyers are done. I can’t go back in to see
Nasir until tomorrow. I’ll text you when we leave, but I’ve no idea how long of
a drive it’ll be with rush hour traffic, so don’t wait for me to eat.”
“I’ll pick up something to tide me over and we can eat
downstairs when you get here.”
“Or order room service. I’m exhausted, even though I haven’t
done a damn thing today.”
“That’s stress. Room service sounds great and after dinner
I’ll give you a nice massage.”
“With a happy ending?”
“If not a happy beginning.”
“I can’t wait!”
“Me too, Tiger. Love you.”
“Love you too, Jas.”
Much as I would have liked to stay outside, loitering in a
prison parking lot without an obvious purpose didn’t seem like a good idea. I
was just about to head back in to wait for the lawyers when I got a text from
Barney asking if I’d be available to see a couple of potential places tomorrow.
Regretfully, I texted back to explain that I’d be busy the next day as well. He
immediately texted back to ask about an evening showing. I texted to ask if he
could talk and my phone rang almost immediately.
“Hey, Edward. Sorry to hear about your emergency. I get that
you’re busy during the day, but with the tight deadline you gave me it would
really help if we didn’t lose this week altogether. There are a couple of
places with motivated sellers available, so I think I can talk them into
letting us come in the evenings. Assuming that’s okay with you.”
“I like the idea. Jasper could come with us as well. My only
concern is the time. I’m not sure how early I can get back to the city.”
“What if I scheduled something for seven or eight tomorrow
evening. Is that late enough?”
“Yes, I think so.”
“Do you think you’ll be up to seeing two places tomorrow?”
“Sure, this is important.” I knew Jasper might be tired
after work, but if that was the case I’d just go alone.
“Great. I’ll keep in touch.
I hope all goes well with whatever’s got you tied up.”
He wasn’t fishing for information and since he knew Emmett
and Nasir, I wasn’t about to reveal the nature of my “emergency.”
“I hope so too. We should know more tomorrow.”
“Good luck. Look for my text about the viewings.”
We hung up and I returned to my post in the lobby.
Fortunately, I didn’t have to wait long. Less than ten minutes later Duane came
through the exit accompanied by an attractive, professionally dressed woman who
I assumed was the immigration law expert.
“Edward, this is Gillian Moss, counsel retained by Nasir’s
employer to clear up his immigration status. Gillian, this is Edward, Nasir’s
buddy from Seattle, recently moved to Manhattan.”
“Pleasure to meet you,” Gillian extended her hand, a small
smile cracking her professional demeanor. I took her hand and shook it, holding
on a bit longer than was absolutely necessary.
“Likewise. Do you know how long this will all take? We need
to get Nasir out of here.”
She withdrew her hand slowly.
“We’re doing the best we can, but immigration wheels can
turn slowly. The good news is that Nasir’s Seattle attorney already managed to
secure an appeals hearing tomorrow at the 9th Circuit.”
From the tone of her voice, I could tell she found this
impressive.
“We were told Aro Volturi was very good,” I said, though I
knew Garrett’s father had probably as much, if not more, to do with the rapid
hearing.
“While Mr. Volturi works to overturn the asylum decision, I
will be working here to appraise immigration of Mr. Qasimi’s employment and
green card status. Hopefully one or both of us will be successful in persuading
the government to release Mr. Qasimi post haste.”
“Please do your best. I don’t think my friend is very safe
in there and he definitely does not belong in jail. He hasn’t done anything
wrong.”
“You can be assured this case is my top priority,” Gillian
said with another smile. Duane rolled his eyes and I worked hard to keep back
my smirk. We both knew this was probably as close as the woman came to
flirting, just as we both knew her flirtation was a waste of time. I, however,
wasn’t above using my looks to make her work more diligently on Nasir’s
release.
“I’m relieved to hear it. You’re obviously an expert in this
field,” I told her earnestly and gave her a grin that I knew people found
appealing. Her smile grew and she tilted her head slightly, pleased with the
praise.
“Well, no point staying around here any longer. Should we
head back?” Duane jumped in.
“Yes, good idea. There’s work to be done at the office,”
Gillian turned serious again.
We walked out together and said our goodbyes before Gillian
left for her car and Duane and I walked over to his.
“You’re quite the ladies’ man,” he teased as he pulled out
of the parking lot.
“Definitely not. But I can flirt when need be.”
“It’s an important skill. I must admit I use it too.”
“I would expect nothing less from a good attorney,” I told
him.
The drive back seemed longer than the drive there, owing to
highway congestion, but Duane and I had a pleasant conversation that helped
pass the time. As we neared the city, however, I started to watch the time,
counting minutes until I could see Jasper.
“Missing your guy?” Duane guessed.
“I am. He’s been home from work for a couple of hours
already. I know that doesn’t seem like much, but we spent years apart so it’s
hard to give up even that little time together now. Not that Nasir’s not worth
it.”
“You don’t have to explain. My husband and I both have
careers that keep us apart much of the time. Makes us appreciate the time we do
have together.”
I nodded. He didn’t need to know that my definition of
togetherness would never include playing with other guys, even as a couple.
Due to heavy traffic, I had Duane drop me off at a corner
rather than pull up to the hotel, assuring him that it would be faster for us
both if I walked the last few feet.
“Thanks for the lift, and let’s hope the next time we see
each other we have some good news,” I told him.
“I hear ya, Edward. And do let me know if you need that real
estate help,” he said with a grin.
“Will do.”
I closed the door and speed-walked to the hotel entrance. I
pressed the elevator button anxiously until the car arrived, and then paced the
inside until it reached our floor. I barely got the door open when I was pulled
into Jasper’s arms.
“I’m so happy to see you,” he said when our long kiss ended.
We stood in the small hallway with the door closed behind us and our arms still
wrapped around each other.
“Not as happy as I am,” I told him truthfully.
“You must be starving. Let me call room service.”
“That’d be great, love. Just a burger and fries for me. I’ll
hop in the shower while we wait, wash this jail grit off me.”
“That bad?” Jasper asked sympathetically, running his
fingers through my hair.
“Not bad, exactly.
Frustrating. All the pointless waiting, and then being in that visitation room
with all the other people... I still believe the bad guys deserve all of it and
more, but today made me think about people who plead guilty to stuff they
didn’t do because they don’t think their public defender can get them off, or
because the lawyers themselves pressure them into it.”
“Do you think that happens a
lot?”
“Depends on who you ask. Law
enforcement and prosecutors will tell you no, that they’re all guilty of
something. But seeing what happened to Nasir, I don’t know. There are so many
ways someone in the wrong place at the wrong time can fit a very vague
description...”
“That sucks, but there’s nothing
we can do about it. Right now we just need to concentrate on the one innocent
guy we know, and getting him out. Thankfully money’s not an issue in Nasir’s
case.”
“Yeah, you’re right,” I shook my
head to get rid of my dark thoughts. “Let me jump in the shower. I bet that’ll
help me feel better.”
He let me go and headed for the
telephone. I hung up my jacket in the closet and then stepped into the
bathroom, stripping off my clothes and leaving them where they landed before I
stepped into the shower. I turned the stream to low and stuck my head beneath
the still cold water to wet my hair. I proceeded to shampoo as the water
warmed, and only then turned it on full blast to rinse off the shampoo and do a
quick wash. I turned the water off and pulled back the curtain only to see a
visibly disappointed naked Jasper.
“I was hoping to get in there
with you,” he complained.
“Sorry. Had I known I would have
taken more time.”
“Serves me right for not saying
anything, I guess,” he said, reaching for a towel. I stepped onto the bath mat
and let him dry me off. I sank my fingers into his hair when he lowered himself
to his knees to dry my legs.
“It will still be a few minutes
before room service gets here. We have time to play,” he said, placing a kiss
on the foreskin-covered head of my soft cock. That alone was enough for it to
twitch and start growing.
“The bed’s more comfortable,” I
pointed out, thinking of his knees on the hard bathroom tiles.
“A very good point.”
He rose and took my hand,
pulling me into the room and onto the bed. He situated me in the center,
arranging pillows behind me so I was partially reclined with legs splayed out
leaving room in between. He lay down on top of me and rained kisses all over my
chest before sliding down the valley between my chest to my belly button and
following the treasure trail down to my cock. I was more than semi-hard now,
and soon after he wrapped his lips around my girth I grew fully erect.
“That’s so good,” I told him,
watching his bobbing head as he made love to my turgid shaft, his tongue
caressing the underside and causing spikes of pleasure to course through my
body.
His only reply was his familiar
hum.
I lay back and let him do
whatever he wanted. I hoped he would finish before we were interrupted by room
service, but I didn’t want to rush him. I needn’t have worried. He clearly had
a plan.
After a few minutes of
relatively gentle lovemaking, he picked up the pace and pulled in his cheeks to
increase the suction. He also sank deeper onto my cock, drawing me into his
throat and swallowing around me while he massaged my balls with his free hand.
He glanced up at me and without any words I knew exactly what he wanted. I
reached down, placed my hands on either side of his head and pumped my hips,
watching my cock piston in and out of his mouth. He groaned and streaks of saliva ran from his
mouth down my shaft as I thrust faster and deeper, truly fucking his mouth. He
closed his eyes and the euphoric expression on his face propelled me to the
edge.
The need for release flooded my
system and pulled my balls up to the root of my cock. He read the signs and
used his hand to tug at them in time with one of my upward thrusts and I came
undone with a triumphant cry, shooting ropes of cum down his open throat. He
sucked and I pumped through the rest of my orgasm, and he continued to lick and
suckle me even when I fell back, drained of all cum and energy. A couple of
minutes later, when he was certain he had sucked me dry, he lifted his head
wearing a wide smile and licking his lips.
“Fuck, that was good,” he said.
“You’re telling me?”
“I am telling you. I’ll never
get enough of that cock,” he said as he slithered up to lie next to me, his
hand cupping my spent genitals.
“And I’ll never get enough of
you,” I told him, shifting to the side and leaning over to kiss him. I loved
tasting myself on him as I plumbed the depths of his mouth with my tongue. “I
just wish we had enough time for me to return the favor.”
“Later. You need to eat to
recover your strength,” he smirked knowingly.
“The strength you just sucked
out of me?”
“That too.”
I reached over to tickle him
and, seeing my intent, he tried to scramble away. He was saved by a knock at
the door.
“Crap! Our clothes are in the
bathroom,’ I realized.
“I’ll toss you a robe,” he said.
He sat up and swung his legs to the side of the bed to stand up. I watched his
glutes and hamstrings contract as he walked to the bathroom. He emerged wearing
a robe and tossed a second one to me, which I hurriedly pulled on just as we
heard another knock followed by a “room service” announcement.
“Just a minute,” Jasper said
loudly looking back to me for approval. I gave him a thumbs up and he went to
open the door. “Put it on the table
inside, thanks,” he told the person at the door.
A young bellboy came into the
room, carrying a large tray with two silver-dome-covered plates. He noticed me
on the bed and his face reddened noticeably. I decided to take pity on him and
didn’t tease him with a wink. He set the tray down and turned to Jasper with a
small clipboard.
“If you could just sign here,
Sir,” he stammered.
“Sure.”
Jasper took the clipboard and
signed where the bellboy indicated. He then reached into the pocket of his robe
and handed the kid a tip, which the boy accepted with an even deeper blush.
“Enjoy your meal,” he stammered
again and made a beeline for the door.
“I’m sure we will,” Jasper said,
following him. I heard the door close and the lock engage. “I don’t think he
heard the last part.”
“We may have traumatized him for
life,” I chortled.
“Is it possible that someone who
works for a hotel in New York City has never seen a gay couple?”
“Maybe not one so obviously
sated,” I mused.
“Ah, maybe not. Wanna eat at the
table or should I bring this to bed?”
“Bed’s good. We can turn on the
news.”
We got caught up on local and
world events as we devoured our make-shift picnic.
“These burgers are good,” Jasper
commented, licking his fingers clean of dripping juice.
“So are the fries,” I agreed,
stealing one off his plate.
“Hey!” he slapped my hand playfully,
then reached to my plate to take one of my fries.
The news anchors droned on in
the background, but we stopped paying attention.
“I was thinking earlier about
all the crap that’s happened lately. I mean, Em and Nasir almost getting shot
in the Middle East and Nasir’s driver getting killed, then Dimi and Ros being
attacked, then the sniper and now this? It seems like there’s some dark cloud
hanging over our group. Just when you think the bad stuff has to be over,
something else happens,” Jasper noted with a furrowed brow.
“It does seem like a string of
bad luck, but it’s all a coincidence. Ros and Dimi’s attack and the sniper had
nothing to do with one another. As for Em and Nasir, I suspect both events are
related to Nasir’s family. Certainly what happened in the UAE was, and I think
I saw Nasir’s brother in the jail parking lot today.”
“You did? Did Nasir say anything
about that?”
“He didn’t, but I didn’t put two
and two together until after I was done with my visitation, so I couldn’t ask him.
I will tomorrow.”
“You think Nasir’s brother is
trying to force him out of the United States?”
“Based on everything I heard,
he’d love for Nasir to be deported to the UAE, where he would happily kill his
baby brother without a second thought.”
“Jesus!”
“I know.”
“Do you think there’s any danger
of Nasir actually being deported?”
“The lawyers don’t seem to think
so, but who the hell knows? Before today I would have said there was no way
Nasir would be in jail.”
Jasper nodded thoughtfully.
“I’m just so glad you’re here.
No matter how bad things are, it seems better when we’re together, you know?
“I do,” I reached for his left
hand and squeezed. “Talking like this is way better than skyping.”
He snorted. “Yeah, it is!”
“Oh, Barney called while I was
out there.”
“Yeah? Is he pissed that we’re
delaying the search?”
“No, but he asked if we could
see a couple of places tomorrow evening?”
“That would work. I was actually
thinking of knocking off early tomorrow and going to visit Nasir, assuming he’s
not released before then.”
“Can you do that?”
“Sure. As long as I’m there in
the morning for the show, leaving a couple of hours early is not a big deal.”
“I’m sure Nasir would love to
see you. I was going to rent a car and spend the day out there. I’m not sure
I’d have enough time between the two visiting sessions to get you, but we can
book a car to drive you out and then I’ll drive us back.”
“Yes, that’ll work. And when we
get back we’ll meet Barney and see the places he has to show us. Who knows,
maybe our luck will finally turn?”
“Let’s hope.” I said, eating the
last of my fries and reaching for the dome to cover the empty plate. Jasper did
the same so I slid off the bed and picked up the tray. “I’ll go set this
outside. And then...” I lifted my brows.
“Then what?”
“Then I’m going to see what I
can do about turning your luck right now!”
“But I already got lucky
before,” he protested with a laugh.
“Not as lucky as you’re gonna
get!” I promised, and a few minutes later I delivered.
****
The next day was another
exercise in frustration. Garrett had called us before we went to sleep to
explain about the appeals hearing. Due to the time difference between New York
and Seattle, there was no way that Nasir’s problems would be resolved in the morning,
and it was entirely possible that they could stretch out for another day. I
arranged for a rental car to be delivered to the hotel in the morning and drove
out to the jail so that I could go in when visiting hours started. I sat with
Nasir and kept him talking the entire time, doing my best to distract him from
the situation. There was little I could say to improve his mood, though. If
anything, he was even more depressed, despite having been able to finally talk
to Emmett.
“I love him so much, Edward. I
just want to be with him. It was so much easier before, when we were both in
Seattle. I should have never agreed to the wedding. I should have stalled my
father somehow.”
“You wouldn’t have been able to
stall him forever,” I pointed out.
“Then I should have pretended to
go along while looking for another job. If I had a green card before the family
found out, I would not have had to apply for asylum,” he fretted.
“Nasir,” I said calmly, wishing
I could take his hand or, better yet, hug him. “Hindsight is always twenty
twenty. I know all about it. I lost years with Jasper because of things I did
that I wished I could have done over.”
“I guess I forgot that,” Nasir
said. “I am being so selfish!”
“No, you’re not. How can you be
selfish when you’re thinking of Emmett? All I’m saying is you should stop
beating yourself up over things that can’t be undone. The lawyers will fix
this, and then things will go back to normal.”
“But our normal is terrible,”
Nasir lamented. “I hate being away from Emmett so many nights.”
There was nothing I could say to
make that better.
“I know it is wrong, but I am
jealous of you and Jasper. It was easier when my Emmett and I were not the only
ones who were apart. I know it was not easy for you to leave your home and
everyone in Seattle, but you seem so much happier now.”
Given his situation, I was a
little surprised he noticed.
“I am happier, and the hardest
part about leaving Seattle was clearing the fog around my priorities. Once I
let myself see what was really important, the decision was easy. Maybe that
will happen for Emmett too.”
“No, he has his job in Seattle,
and his home, and Sethy. He and I belong there, not here. I would not want him
to give it all up for me.”
“Not even if he wanted to?”
Nasir through for a moment.
“I cannot imagine such a thing.
I cannot imagine Emmett and Sethy separated. It would be wrong. What would he
do when I had to travel for business? He would be all alone!”
I wasn’t going to point out that
Jasper and I would be here in New York for him. The truth was, I agreed with
Nasir. I couldn’t imagine Emmett separated from Seth either. It was hard enough
on the two of them when Seth moved in with Garrett, and fortunately Garrett
understood his husband’s friendship well enough to encourage it instead of
interfering. The open door policy they shared was nearly as good as living
together. It was hard to picture Emmett and Seth living in different buildings,
much less cities.
“Is there any chance that you
could do your job from Seattle?”
“I have thought about this.
There is no reason I need to be in New York, except to see my bosses and
colleagues. I think if I do a good job on a few projects, I will be able to ask
about moving back to Seattle, but not until then.”
Nasir folded his hands together
and leaned forward, resting his forearms on his thighs. He looked absolutely
dejected.
“I know you and Emmett hate to
be apart, but I also know he would much rather be in a long-distance
relationship with you than in any other kind of relationship with anyone else.
You love each other, and you will both make this work for as long as it takes,
until you can be together again full time.” I said with forceful conviction.
“You think so?” Nasir looked
over at me with hope in his glistening eyes.
“I know so!” I nodded with
certainty. “This is just a bump in the road. Someday, you’ll look back on this
and laugh.”
Nasir shook his head.
“Okay, maybe you won’t laugh.
But you’ll look back on this and realize that all your fears had been
unfounded.”
That finally got him to smile.
***
Jasper and I texted obsessively
during his long car ride to the jail. I was thrilled to see him when he finally
got there, and Nasir even more so. With his natural easy-going manner, Jasper
was finally able to lift Nasir’s spirits a little, and to distract him even
more when he explained what had happened during our dinner with Peter and Dimi.
I hadn’t wanted to bother Nasir with my troubles, but I immediately saw that
had been a mistake. He actually looked better in his outrage over Peter’s
treatment of us. For a little while, it almost seemed as if the old Nasir was
back. But when the guard announced that visiting hours were over, Nasir became
depressed.
“I’ll be back tomorrow,” I
assured him.
“Thank you, Edward. I wish you
did not have to be here so many days in a row.”
“Keep your chin up and call Em
to see what happened at the hearing. Who knows? Maybe there will be some good
news already. And if not, then maybe tomorrow...”
“Perhaps tomorrow,” Nasir
nodded, but didn’t seem convinced.
***
It took over two hours to get
back to Manhattan due to a detour we took to grab a bite to eat. I didn’t mind,
though. In fact, I loved every minute. The drive reminded me of the road trip
Jasper and I took through the Northern Cascades earlier in the fall, and I
realized that once our living situation was settled I might want to look for a
car so that we could take more driving trips together.
Back in Manhattan, we had just
enough time to hand off the rental car to the hotel valet for parking and then
meet Barney at the first condo. The place was nice, with two decent sized
bedrooms and a good sized kitchen, but it only took one look between me and
Jasper to confirm that this wasn’t going to be our home. The second showing was
of a row house, and this one had real promise, but Jasper balked at the seven
million dollar price and I wasn’t overly thrilled with the location, which
seemed too far away from the subway.
“Sorry Barney. I guess we’re
pretty picky,” Jasper shrugged as we exited the home and Barney locked the
front door behind us.
“Everyone’s picky until they
find the right place. It’s an important decision, so it has to feel right.
Should I try to set up another place for tomorrow evening?”
“That would be great,” I agreed.
We stopped at the hotel
restaurant to have dessert before we went back up to the room. We were getting
ready for bed when Seth called to let us know that the appeals court repealed
the denial of Nasir’s asylum.
“So what does that mean?”
“It means now he has asylum and
a green card. It means he will not get deported, even if he loses his job!”
“So are they going to let him
out? I can go out there to pick him up tonight,” I offered, although I dreaded
making another multi-hour round trip to the jail at this time of night. I
couldn’t remember if those rural roads even had lights, and I could easily
imagine myself getting lost and ending up in some cow pasture.
“We wish. They have no problem
working late to detain people, but heaven forbid they release anyone outside
regular business hours. There’s no one in New York right now to receive the
judges’ decision, much less process it, so it will have to be done tomorrow.
Emmy spoke with Duane already and he will be at the immigration office as soon
as it opens with the order in hand. Can you go to tell Nasir?”
“Of course. I was planning to go
out there anyway.”
“We’re flying in, all three of
us, but you’ll probably get there before we do.”
“You’re flying in? That’s great!
Would Em rather wait and tell Nasir in person?”
Seth covered the microphone, but
I could still hear him ask Emmett the question.
“Emmy says no, just tell him. He
wants Nasi to know as soon as possible.”
“Okay, I’ll do that and hold
down the fort until you arrive. He’ll be so happy!”
“He and Emmy both! I bet they’ll
be fucking in that limo on the way back to Manhattan.”
Having seen Nasir over the last
couple of days, I suspected he would be thrilled enough just to have Emmett in
his arms, but I said nothing.
“And speaking of fucking, I’d
better let you and Jasper get to it.”
I chuckled. “What makes you
think we’ll be doing anything of the sort?”
“Girl, please!”
“Okay, okay. Go pack or
something. We’ll see you tomorrow.”
“Kisses to Jasper, and you,” he added
the last begrudgingly.
“And to you, Emira.”
“Why you! Just wait till I get
hold of you tomorrow!” he mock threatened.
“I’ll be waiting. Goodnight.”
Having heard my half of the
conversation, Jasper guessed what happened, but I filled in the details.
“Thank goodness it’s over!”
“Or will be, tomorrow. None too
soon for Nasir, I’m sure, but having Emmett and Garrett and Seth here will
help.”
“Such a fucking waste of
everyone’s time and resources!”
“Our tax dollars at work.”
“You know, I normally don’t even
mind paying taxes, but then shit like this happens and it’s almost enough to
turn me Republican!”
I laughed, knowing he didn’t
really mean it.
“If you were Republican, you’d
be volunteering to escort Nasir back to the UAE.”
He chuckled too.
“Okay, not Republican, but it
still pisses me off.”
“At least it only took a few
days to resolve. Just think, without money and connections, Nasir could have
been stuck in that place for weeks.”
“It’s a shitty system. but with
all the Washington gridlock it’s unlikely to change any time soon. Stupid
politicians!”
“Don’t get yourself all worked
up before bed,” I said, reaching over to turn off the bedside lamp. “Come here,
let me distract you.”
Jasper groaned appreciatively as
I took his cock in hand and gave him a firm stroke.
“You don’t have to ask me
twice.”
So good to read about these boys again, they are so happy together and it is just lovely. Of course, we were expecting Nasir in jail from John's book but it is always great to read it from Edward's POV. I can't wait to find out which house they get and I'm DYING to read about the holidays and the families meeting up, especially Jasper's Dad and Esme. Of course anything with the little ones in it is adorable. Thanks for not giving up on this story, it is wonderful and so exciting that we may have another chapter quite soon and another from John too!!! Woo Hoo!! Kathryn x
ReplyDeleteThat was an eventful chapter. Hopefully Nasir's troubles are over and the boys can continue looking for a home
ReplyDeleteQuel plaisir de voir un nouveau chapitre dans ma boite mail de cette superbe histoire!
ReplyDeleteNous avons assisté à une "aventure" qui aurait pu être tragique pour le petit groupe avec le départ de Nasir mais au final, grâce au soutien de tous, le dénouement a pu se faire rapidement pour le bien de ce dernier!
Je suis impatiente de retrouver les six garçons ensemble, cela faisait bien longtemps et en plus à New York, ça peut être intéressant.
J'espère que les garçons vont finir par trouver la maison de leur rêve et en profiter avec toute la famille pour les fêtes.
J'attends le prochain chapitre avec une grande impatience,
A bientôt.
Man hopefully everything works out soon. I cant believe all the problems these guys have had. Thanks so much for the update,always excited to read this story.
ReplyDeleteHi Liz!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad I tend to lurk in your blog sometimes since I received no alert :-( But as always I jumped up and down and squealed. I've missed them so much and I'm glad to have them back for another chapter!
Finally the dreaded money talk happened and you dealed with it beautifully, I knew Jas was gonna have objections but talkling about it and pinpointing the root of his reluctance was a great stepping stone for them, I think. It's been such an amazing journey for them both, but as E said is admirable how far Jas has come too in terms of dealing with his trauma. Really admirable!
I also absolutely loved to see them doing domestic little things, even if they're still in the hotel, they can enjoy a meal with no rush and watch zombie shows, hehe. Loved it. Also loved the fact that we could see this side of what happened to Nasir from E's pov and the conversations Jas and him had about it. I'm really looking forward next chapter and seeing when they make a home descision :-D
And how amazing was hanging out with Cam? I adored him and I'm so glad E is forging good friendships with Jas' friends, including meeting once again for with Demetri. I'm still on the fence about Peter, in the sense that I don't know if I want him to see the light and try to get Jasper's friendship back or him being out of their lives for good. But I don't want Jas to loose anything of anyone after they've work so hard to be together, so i'd like what's best for him...
I guess I could ramble about every line and paragraph since I love this story so much but bottomline is I absolutely enjoyed it and can't wait as always for more!
Thanks for sharing hun, hugs!!
Love Eli.
I love that Edward and Jasper are in such a good place right now. :) thanks for the update!!
ReplyDeleteJohn's update reminded me to check here, and here was a wonderful new chapter :-)
ReplyDeleteThings are starting to slot into place for the boys, but there are clearly things on the horizon that may cause trouble.
Loved the conversation with Cam and the fact that the boys are actually pretty picky about things like real estate.
Thanks for the update. Will wait (patiently) for the next installment :-)
Rereading this made me catch lots of little details I didn't get the first time, like the fact that they actually saw a row house before they found 'the' house ;-)
ReplyDeleteI loved seeing them together, making plans and just being a couple!
Thx for sharing, hugs!